Translate


Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Albert Pujols and His 500th Home Run Ball

Tonight in Washington, one of baseball's classiest payers, Albert Pujols, hit his 500th career home run. And it was caught by an Angels fan. This is a good story.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/fan-who-caught-pujols-500th-home-run-wants-nothing-in-return-023226058.html

I wonder what I would have done had I caught the ball. When it is a momentous ball like this, there is great pressure to give the ball to the hitter and hopefully, get something in return. To his credit, Sgt Sherill is not asking for anything.

One of my lifelong ambitions is to get a game ball at a major league game. My son has accomplished it. I have not. I have had two close calls, both at Dodger Stadium.

One time in the 1960s, when the Angels were playing at Dodger Stadium, I was sitting in the left field bleachers during batting practice. Joe Adcock, once a big slugger with the great Milwaukee Braves teams in the late 1950s, hit one right to me. Since I was having to bare-hand it, I tried to give a little-draw my hands back as it struck. Well, it went right through my hands and down the tunnel to the concourse.

The second time happened in 1984*, as I recall, at a game between the Dodgers and Padres. I was sitting in the seats along the first base line. Dave Cash, a second baseman with the Padres, hit a check-swing foul ball my way. It was right to me. Sadly, I had a hot dog in one hand and a beer in the other. As I tried to set them down on the floor, the ball landed in my lap and skipped away. (* The year is incorrect. It was 1980.)

Damn.

So what would I do if some hitter hit a milestone home run and I caught it-fulfilling my life's dream? I think I would give it back, but what would I ask for in return?

Just give me the next foul ball that doesn't go into the stands. That would do it.


No comments: